About Us

Prince Hall Freemasonry Background

Prince Hall Freemasonry had its beginnings on March 6, 1775 when Prince Hall (ca. 1748-1807), an abolitionist and civil rights activist, along with fourteen other free black men were initiated into freemasonry.  These men later organized African Lodge No. 1 on July 3, 1775. In 1784, they petitioned the Grand Lodge of England for a charter; it was granted and African Lodge No. 1 became African Lodge No. 459 of Boston, Massachusetts.  

Prince Hall. A Charge, Delivered to the African Lodge, June 24, 1797, at Menotomy. Library of Congress Rare Book and Special Collections Division. 

Fredericktonian Lodge History

1859 - Fredericktonian Lodge No. 12 was warranted by the Most Worshipful Union Grand Lodge of the State of Maryland on September 6, 1859.

1876 - On September 12, 1876 the lodge was re-warranted by the Grand Lodge officers under the seal for the state of Maryland as Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Mason of Baltimore City.

1925 - A building fire destroying most records previous to 1925. However, some artifacts were preserved detailing the early brotherhood and caring for the sick. Reflecting strong traditional Masonic commitment to the community, which is still present today.

1954 - Members of Fredericktonian Lodge No. 12 purchased the current property on 110 W. All Saints Street.

West All Saints Street Circa 1930s and Present

Historic American Buildings Survey, C., Pickering, E. H., photographer. (1933) 119-150 All Saints Street Houses, Frederick, Frederick County, MD. Maryland Frederick Frederick County, 1933. Documentation Compiled After. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/md0343/. 

Fraternal Brotherhood

While the landscape has changed, our lodge's history reflets 153 years of strong allegiance to our Grand Lodge and Masonic disciplines. Below are important facts about Freemasonry: